Everything You Need to Know About Buying SR-22 Insurance
Buying SR-22 insurance can be a confusing process. Knowing what SR-22 insurance is, how it works, and the common mistakes to avoid when purchasing it can help make the buying process simpler. Heres everything you need to know about buying SR-22 insurance.
What Is SR-22 Insurance? SR-22 insurance is a certification that is used to verify you have a minimum level of auto liability insurance coverage required by your state. The SR-22 is not actually a type of insurance, but is proof that youve purchased and maintained the required insurance coverage. Generally, an SR-22 must be in effect for three years and the insurance company must notify the state when its cancelled. Your state may require an SR-22 if youve been convicted of a DUI, driving without insurance or another serious offense.
How It Works. Once a state requires you to obtain SR-22 insurance, youll need to contact your insurance company. Your insurer will then file the certification with the states department of motor vehicles. After that, your insurance company will monitor you to make sure you stay compliant with your states minimum auto liability insurance laws.
Tips For Buying SR-22 Insurance. Here are some tips to keep in mind when buying SR-22 insurance:
1. Shop Around – Dont settle for the first quote you get. Shopping around and comparing different rates can help you find a policy that meets your needs and your budget. Be sure to factor in any special discounts you may be eligible for, like bundling your policies or having a good driving record.
2. Check The Requirements – Make sure you understand the minimum auto liability limits your state requires. Youll need to get a policy that meets these requirements in order to satisfy the SR-22 requirement.
3. Pay Upfront – Pay your premiums in full to avoid any late payments. Insurers are required to notify the state if you dont make your payments on time, which can put the SR-22 status in jeopardy.
4. Monitor Your Insurance – After you buy SR-22 insurance, keep an eye on your policy. Make sure you stay current on payments and that you keep your insurer informed about any changes to your address or driving record.
Common Mistakes To Avoid.
1. Making Late Payments – Making late payments on insurance can be detrimental to you in multiple ways. Your insurer can cancel your policy if you send in your payment late, which will then trigger a notification to the state. This can put the SR-22 status in jeopardy, so be sure to pay your premiums on time.
2. Getting The Wrong Type Of Policy – You cant just purchase any type of auto insurance policy and expect that it will fulfill the SR-22 requirement. Each state has its own minimum auto liability limits and you must purchase a policy that meets the states requirements in order for the SR-22 to be valid.
3. Failing To Notify Your Insurer – Letting your insurer know of any changes to your address, driving record or vehicles can help make sure youre getting the most accurate rate and that your policy fulfills the SR-22 requirement.
4. Canceling Your Policy Early – You may be tempted to just cancel your policy if you no longer need the SR-22 requirements, but this is one of the worst things you can do. If you cancel the policy before the three-year term required by your state is up, youll be considered non-compliant and youll need to start the process over again.
5. Getting Unnecessary Extras – SR-22 insurance offers no additional benefits and getting extra coverage or riders can raise your premiums. Keep your coverage focused on the bare necessities in order to keep your costs low.
What You Should Know About SR-22 Online Forms.
1. Filing Online – Most states allow you to easily file for an SR-22 insurance policy online. When filing online, make sure the site youre using is legitimate field application websites are secure and provide the same level of protection from unauthorized access as any other secure website.
2. Electronic Forms – Depending on the state you live in, you may be able to file an electronic SR-22 form. This allows you to quickly and conveniently get an SR-22 filing without ever needing to visit a physical location. Your insurer can also view your SR-22 filing electronically, which makes it even easier to keep the paperwork up to date.
3. Backup Forms – Backup forms provide additional paperwork to prove that youve fulfilled the SR-22 requirement. If your insurer cancels or non-renews your policy, you may need to file a backup form to prove that youve satisfied the SR-22 requirement.
4. Multiple Filings – You may need to file multiple SR-22 forms, depending on your state and situation. For instance, if you get into a car accident in another state, you may need to file a separate SR-22 form in that state in order to meet the liability coverage requirements.
5. Fees – In addition to the premium for the insurance coverage, most states charge a filing fee when youre getting an SR-22 form. This fee is usually small, usually less than $50, but it can add up if you have to file multiple forms.
What You Should Know About SR-22 Insurance Premiums.
1. Charges May Vary – The amount you pay for SR-22 insurance will depend on your state, your insurer and your driving record. Generally, SR-22 insurance is more expensive than regular auto insurance, but the charges can vary depending on the insurer and the amount of coverage.
2. Pay Attention To Details – Read the fine print of your policy before signing up. Make sure you understand what the policy covers and any restrictions that may apply.
3. Check For Discounts – SR-22 insurance typically involves higher premiums, but you may be eligible for discounts. Check with your insurer to see if you qualify for any special discounts or incentives, such as a good driver discount or a multi-policy discount.
4. Be A Responsible Driver – Maintaining a clean driving record can help you get the best rate on SR-22 insurance. Doing things like avoiding traffic violations and focusing on safety can help you save money in the long run.
5. Get A Quote – Shop around and get multiple quotes to compare rates. Online comparison tools can help you quickly compare rates from multiple insurers, which can help you get the best rate possible.
What You Should Know About SR-22 Insurance Companies.
1. Not All Companies Offer SR-22 Insurance – Not every insurer offers SR-22 insurance, so you may need to shop around to find one that does. Start by checking with your current insurer, then look for online reviews of other companies that specialize in SR-22 policies.
2. Avoid High Risk Insurers – High-risk insurers may be willing to take on customers who require SR-22 insurance, but their premiums can often be very expensive. Look for insurers that specialize in SR-22 insurance coverage and offer competitive rates.
3. Look For Good Customer Service – When shopping for SR-22 insurance, look for companies that have good customer service ratings. The last thing you want is to get stuck with an insurer thats difficult to reach or unresponsive when you have a question.
4. Read the Policies Carefully – Make sure you read and understand the terms and conditions of the policy before signing up. Ask questions if you have any confusion and pay attention to deductibles, coverage limits and other details.
5. Compare Companies – Dont buy the first policy you find. Use online comparison tools and read reviews to make sure youre getting the best deal from a reputable company.